By Ian McNeil
This Biographical Dictionary seeks to place the area of know-how within the context of these who've made an important contribution to it.
For the 1st time info has been accrued at the those who have made the main major advances in expertise. From precedent days to the current day, the key inventors, discoverers and marketers from all over the world are profiled, and their contribution to society defined and assessed.
The Dictionary offers descriptive and analytical biographies of its matters in alphabetical order for ease of reference. every one access presents particular details at the individual's existence, paintings and relevance to their specific field.
* within the first part of the access, the data will comprise the dates and areas of the subject's start and loss of life, including their nationality and their box of activity
* within the main body of the access there follows an account in their central achievements and their value within the historical past of know-how, besides complete info of appointments and honours
* eventually an annotated bibliography will direct the reader to the subject's central writings and courses and to an important secondary works which the reader can seek advice for additional information.
* the 1st paintings in life to check technologists in detail
* comprises over 1,500 entries giving distinctive information
* broad cross-references allow the reader to check topics and building up an image of technological develop^ * Figures drawn from fields similar to Aeronautics, Telecommunications, structure, images and Textiles
Read or Download Biographical Dictionary of the History of Technology PDF
Best Dictionaries books
Adjectives have lengthy suffered from undesirable press. for a few years, English academics were keen on telling scholars that "adjectives are the enemy of nouns, and adverbs are the enemy of every thing else. "While it really is nonetheless a good suggestion to heed your English teacher's suggestion on such a lot different issues, The hugely Selective Dictionary of Golden Adjectives for the terribly Literate proves that breaking convinced principles could make written and spoken language that a lot livelier, including much-needed colour, sort, and adornment.
This is often the one absolutely illustrated telecommunciations dictionary anyplace. it truly is thoroughly up to date - revised and increased to incorporate streaming media, electronic content material, and MPEG-4/MPEG-7 insurance. It positive factors: greater than 4000 concise, actual definitions; six hundred illustrations; over 8000 references; an absolutely searchable CD-ROM with the complete dictionary in searchable PDF structure; and, a thousand bonus pages of specific insurance from 30 different striking McGraw-Hill technical references.
Absolutely revised and up-to-date for the 7th version, this market-leading dictionary is definitely the right advisor for somebody learning biology, both in class or college. With greater than 5,500 transparent and concise entries, it offers complete insurance of biology, biophysics, and biochemistry. Over 250 new entries contain phrases comparable to Broca's sector, comparative genomic hybridization, replicate neuron, and Pandoravirus.
This bestselling dictionary includes greater than 9,500 entries on all points of chemistry, physics, biology (including human biology), earth sciences, machine technological know-how, and astronomy. This absolutely revised version contains 1000's of latest entries, akin to bone morphogenetic protein, conference on organic range, genome modifying, Ice dice test, multi-core processor, PhyloCode, quarkonium, and around the globe Telescope, bringing it totally brand new in parts akin to nanotechnology, quantum physics, molecular biology, genomics, and the technology of weather swap.
Extra resources for Biographical Dictionary of the History of Technology